Old 08-23-04, 04:00 PM
simple312
Shadow Member

Bikes: bareknuckle fixed, cannondale track, nishiki conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fixed/free (w/flipflop hub) rear wheel alignment tips?

Hello. Sorry if this is off topic. I checked out the maintenance section and it didn't seem to deal with many ss/fixed issues. Its also a bit long, the question is at the bottom.

I just got a KHS flite100 this past weekend. Its set up with the stock flip flop hub, fixed & free wheel on alternate sides. I've had an old touring bike that was converted to SS for the past 6 years. It had semi horizontal drops that were normal road bike drops, so the wheel moved toward the center of the bike to come off. The KHS has normal track horizontal drops exiting away from the center of the bike.

I learned very quickly that its much more difficult to take the real wheel off on a track frame. The other big difference is that like most (or all) track frames the axles have fixed bolts rather than quick release. (My old bike had a quick release).

I could get the rear wheel on my old bike aligned easily, but w/o the quick release its much more difficult and I'm not sure if i have it lined up right or not. Its pretty close but there seems to be a bit of friction when turning the pedals backwards. I also notice that it gets rather sensitive with the break pads. Just a bit off and the rub.

I was thinking that would eventually learn to ride it fixed but the difficulty turning the wheel around, it may not happen after all.

Any good tips to be sure my rear wheel is in proper alignment with a flip flop hub (w/o quick release)?
or is it just a mater of practice?

Thanks for the help.
Christian