View Single Post
Old 12-25-07, 06:27 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Deanster04
I have a 2005 Mondonico Diamond Extra (lugged Columbus Neuron tubing). Tried the modern materials: Titanium, TI-Carbon, and Carbon but, returned to steel. I have a Cinelli (1969) that has always been the gold standard for long distance riding. That is why I went back to steel...
I saw a silver paint job on a Mondonico last summer. It was a beauty. Good luck with your build. What year is the Mondonico? Tubing? Chrome fork?
The card might have been intended to keep dropings from the tubing into the BB. I used to take a business card and cover it in grease and place it on the inside of the BB before I would assemble it. Later they started using plastic inserts to do the same job on ball and cup BB assemblies. Now there is a cartridge...Progress.
Hi Deanster, nice to see you again!

I think mine is '84 or earlier. Silver paint, chrome Mondonico fork, chrome chainstays to within 3" of the BB shell, chrome "socks" 3" up the seatstays. It says Columbus, but it doesn't state the grade. The drive-side frame end has the two holes for a Porta Catena, so that dates the dropout to post-1975 if I recall the thread from a few weeks ago.

The card was not wrapped around the bearing space, There was a nylon Campy BB sleeve for that purpose. I think the card was there to state the paint color. Originally I thought it would be a business card of the owner, to help with possible theft recovery. I think the card, in Italian, indicates the frame was painted in Italy. Italian paint or US paint was an option at Torelli, for a while at least.

Road Fan