Thread: Lethargy
View Single Post
Old 08-23-04, 09:58 PM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
Hi Chris

Knowing your penchant for long distances and hill climbing, it sounds as though you might have the early stages of overtraining syndrome. Sleeplessness or restlessness are among the symptoms. Have you checked you wake-up heart rate recently to see if it is elevated? Also, are you absolutely sure you remained sufficiently rehydrated after riding in the past week or so? It can take a couple of days for things to stabilise if not. Maybe the drop-off in distances before the long-weekend tour is not such a bad idea.
Hi Rowan,

How's it all going down there? Did you guys cop any snow this year? I didn't even see any frost up here!!
In response to some of the above questions, I've really upped the water intake over the last two days, I think it's a valid point. On my longer rides I tend to start well hydrated, but don't always drink as much as I should during the ride itself. I think that habit might be finally catching up with me! Still, I felt really good on the commute this morning (I scrapped a planned 45km jaunt out to Hinze Dam with 470 metres of climbing before work). I think I'm feeling OK again.

So, which tent did you eventually buy? I think my Mountain Designs two-person job is pretty good value for money and it has done about 80 nights now. Certainly I felt sorry for your old tent in the wind out at Berriedale -- it looked like it was on its last legs (or tent poles).
I got an MSR 1.5 person tent, but I can't remember the exact model off the top of my head. It was about $60 off, and the guy at the camping shop in Brisbane's apparently an avid cyclist (first question he asked me was "have you been to Tasmania yet?"). This weekend it's headed for the Richmond Range near Kyogle in Northern NSW to try it out. BTW, if you thought my tent copped it at Berriedale, you should have seen it at Lake Pedder three days earlier!

And, when are you planning on coming back to Tasmania for another play among our hills, rainforests and scenic coastlands? You whipped my backside going up Mt Rumney on the way out to the airport, largely because I had been off the bike for three months post-PBP and Europe. Anyway, that little soujourn woke me up to getting back my fitness, and I am now pretty well prepped for the Great Southern Randonnee 1200 in Victoria in October. Machka coming over for it, too. It's part of a busy six weeks for to get a Super Randonneur medal as well as the GSR and a fleche; the schedule includes two rides in Tasmania, two in Victoria and one in WA where I hope to catch up with Media Creations.
Good luck with that lot! Rest assured, I'm planning a return to Tassie one day, I intend to wreak vengence on the Gordon River road with a new chain this time! Incidentally, I'll be in Victoria myself in November (haven't quite decided exactly when in November yet, but probably late in the month). Heading for Wilson's Promontory and the Great Alpine Road. I'd love to get together if this fits in with your schedule.

That is all.