Old 12-26-07, 02:30 PM
TonyCtattoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stacia
Hi! This is actually my first post to these forums. I'm working on going carfree--my car is, I admit, still sitting in my parents' garage at the moment, but it IS listed on craigslist, and I haven't driven since October or driven regularly since August. It's going great for me! I have a pretty little bike and just got a set of panniers and an awesome rainjacket for Christmas!

My boyfriend, though, is very much not carfree--and you gotta pick your battles. However, the engine in his car just bit the dust, and rather than fixing it, it's probable that he will sell the whole car for whatever he can get and buy a new one. He wants a vintage Mini or British roadster or something, and while they are totally adorable and get okay or good gas mileage and all that, my understanding is that they have pretty bad emissions (and cars more than 30 years old don't have to pass emissions tests). I'm having trouble convincing him to care. Basically, two things matter to him in a car: 1. cute factor and 2. speed/vroom factor (I did point out to him that those old Minis aren't so much vroom vroom cars...)

So, I'm looking for some simple, unignorable stuff to tell or show him that might convince him that emissions (or lack thereof) really are important AND/OR that individuals can make a difference with individual choices and actions (not just regarding vehicle emissions). Nothing too heavy-handed that will just make him defensive. Humor definitely welcome! (And if you guys know where I could find actual emissions data for vintage cars, that would be awesome.)

Thanks! You guys are an inspiration. And happy holidays!

just let him get the car he wants and worry about the things you do . you can make sugestions but leave controlling people to the politicians