Old 12-28-07, 05:23 PM
evblazer
Thread Killer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Xtracycle, Merlin Road, Bacchetta Giro 26 (Sold), Challenge Hurricane, Cruzbike Sofrider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sbhikes
I don't know what "technology" they are talking about, but if they created free, high-speed Internet access for everyone then perhaps more people could work from home. That would be a technological answer. It should be free access because otherwise we individuals are actually subsidizing our businesses by paying for the high-speed access. It should be free because it would benefit society as a whole.
IRS rate is 50.5 cents a mile next year for driving reimbursement which I'm sure is high depending on the frugality of the driver. Readily available broadband to any location that can actually get broadband is pretty cheap compared to commuting costs unless you live really close to work.
So that wouldnt' really save anyone any money. If anyone could actually telecommute for their job I wouldn't think the cost of the connection is the issue. Computer setup, home office, distractions, over bearing boss, poor company policies, fear of not being noticed and a multitude of other reasons but in my decade of experience in HR at a pretty big telecommunications company I have never heard broadband costs to be a realistic issue.