stronglight
Old Skeptic

Bikes: 19 road bikes & 1 Track bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
I like my current 'crappy aluminum Cannondale with little future value and basic 105 or ultegra components' thank you very much. I bought the bike because I want to ride it and race on it, not because I want to sell it 30 years down the road.
ridethecliche - you're absolutely right.
My embarrassed apologies for unintentionally bashing ANY bicycle at all.
Regrettable choice of comparison. (My Bad )
Your new bike is of course lighter, faster, smoother shifting, making it above all, well suited to your particular needs. And, I happen to think that is great! - I am definitely NOT in favor of buying any bikes for their potential investment value. ~ I am in your camp regarding why any bike should be purchased - i.e. "To Ride!"

Personally, for exactly that reason, I wouldn't spend even $800 on the Raleigh, since I would probably seldom ride that, or any other vintage RACING bike, whether a Masi or a Confente or whatever. But, I do think MOST vintage bikes, even on eBay, do sell for what should really be regarged as BARGAIN prices, considering they are limited in number and steadily disappearing either into "collections" as wall hangers or just turning to rust in damp basements.

My point was just that, like it or not, it is more difficult to find a near mint condition bike made 30 years ago, than running down to the LBS to buy a brand new. To me the rarity of any once top quality bike which has been stored or maintained so well and for so long until it is finally available to someone who appreciates such a bike, makes it understandably worth what some people may consider an excessive amount... at least, to those who are seeking such rarities, for whatever their reasons. I just hope it actually gets to see many miles on the road, rather than sitting beautiful but idle for the next 30 years.