Old 08-24-04, 09:28 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger
OK. The cable was replaced by LBS. They gave me a song and dance about the derailler being at a wierd angle, blah, blah, blah.

I have included a pic of the way the front derailler looks now. THey have the Low screw screwed all of the way in, as you can see. The picture details the chain on the outer chain ring and the outer cog. I guess they basically told me that it will probably break again because the cable is tight and the derailler is in a wierd position.

I know i am getting the run around and need to do some of my own homework and repairs. I am suspicious of the wider bottom bracket that they replaced. Does the pic tell anyone anything?

BTW, the white in the pic on the derailler is "lube." That they put on. Granted it was a younger kid but geeeeeeeeeeeesh.... (see pic below)
I think the reason your high adjustment has been out of whack is that the new, wider, bottom bracket moves the crank farther out from the frame. Since the derailleur is mounted to the frame, if the high limit isn't moved to compensate, the chain will rub. If you get the hi limit all the way out and the chain still rubs, your BB is too wide. The fact that the low limit is all the way in would also indicate that this is likely. Increasing the tension on the barrel adjusters will not help. The LBS either doesn't know or doesn't want to admit that they screwed up and installed an incorrect BB and is trying to tweak around it and hope you go away. I don't get the FD is at a weird angle excuse. Are they saying it is bent? If not, then why can't they adjust it?

To answer your questions about replacing cables:

1. Yes.
2. Yes, as long as you do not confuse brake and derailleur cable
3. Yes.

And I'd add that if your housing is getting old, it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace it at the same time.