bmclaughlin807
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sirlight
I was on the last section of my commute here in San Diego. This section of the ride is in a business park with a very wide two lane road coming up to a side street on the right. This side street is also wide, with no road markings of any kind. None of these streets have any sidewalk or bike lane. As I came up to make my right turn there were four pedestrians crossing the side street about half way across heading in my direction.

I did notice a car coming up behind me. I signaled my right turn and slowed a bit to give the peds a bit more time to cross, expecting I would swing a little wide to avoid them. The car made a right in front of me swinging wide. I gave a loud "HEY!" to indicate my disapproval with the maneuver he just pulled.

The guy pulled over, rolled down his window so we could discuss the matter. There was no yelling, just a discussion of the rules. Having ridden in Boston for many years, his opinion was that if I was at the far right of the road, I was essentially in the "bike lane" and should of held my line into the turn. Of course that would have required that I hit the peds or stop. He agreed that the turn he made was dangerous and that he would look up the laws to be sure.

I thanked him for having the discussion and went on my way.

Except for screaming at him is the first place, was I correct in this situation?
Sounds to me like he pulled the exact same maneuver that you did.... rather than stop and wait for traffic to clear, he pulled out and made a wider turn than he normally would have...

I'd say you were both slightly 'wrong' in that you SHOULD have stopped to wait for the peds to clear the intersection.

I'd have to agree with the bit about holding your line, though... don't go from far right to the middle of the lane WHILE making a turn... nobody can predict that. Either start and finish your turn from the right, or take the lane before the turn and hold it through the turn, THEN decide whether you should be positioned to the right or in the center of the lane.

Stay safe out there.
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson