Thread: Godspeed hubs?
View Single Post
Old 01-02-08, 12:13 PM
MrCjolsen

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
From a distance it looks entirely like a $45 Dimension track hub, except that "Godspeed" is engraved on the inside. All the specs are the same, which is why I got it. I was replacing a Dimension hub that was stripped on one side and wanted to use the same spokes. Also I got wheelbuilding tools for Christmas and saw it as a good first project.

All that's different is that on Dimension hubs, the threads seem to stop short about 1-2mm from the flange, whereas these hubs have the threads going all the way up to the flange (a good thing, I think). $49 was about what I'd pay online for a Dimension hub with shipping.

I can find very little info on Godspeed. They make cogs, and a knock-off of the Surly Singulator, but I don't see any hubs. And of course, if you google Godspeed, you get numerous non-cycling hits. There's also a courier company called Godspeed and a Harley shop in Oakland by the same name.

Anyway, here's a picture of a Dimension hub. Note the gap between the threads and flange. No gap on the Godspeed hub. The only difference. I'd photograph the hub on my bike, but that wouldn't tell much.