View Single Post
Old 01-02-08, 09:56 PM
mtnroads

Bikes: Spec Roubaix Expert, Cannondale CAAD12, Jamis Quest ELite, Jamis Dragon Pro, Waterford ST-22

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
I wonder why we need such massive efforts? Wouldn't we be better off if solar panel were distributed rather than centralized? If we had one on the roof, wouldn't that be better than transporting the energy across a state or continent?

I ran into this proposal
http://renu.citizenre.com/index.php?p=edu_solution where Ed Begley Jr talks about a plan to finance solar panels for private homes. To my mind, this type of deal has got to happen... it's just a matter of when.
That looks interesting - thanks for the link. the concept is sound but solar PV is not quite as simple as the cell phone model that was mentioned in the video. There are installation constraints, orientation, shading from trees, etc. Plus how does it work if the person moves or sells the home? Those are just a few questions I would have, but I think the idea is a good one. Anything to get around the barrier of high initial capital cost helps.

As far as why centralized over de-centralized solar generation, it is because there are tremendous cost efficiencies with scale - in cost per watt, installation, maintenance, etc. Putting it in a location of consistently high daily solar insolation eliminates the siting variables. And the size of the project would stimulate significant capital investment which would hopefully drive the cost/watt down.

Still, ultimately I think we will need both centralized and decentralized solar, combined with wind where it is viable, geothermal, etc. The important lesson is that our needs can be met with renewables and there are alternatives to the destructive path of continued fossil fuel use.