View Single Post
Old 01-03-08, 06:36 AM
wolfpack 
Rawwrrrrrrrrr!

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Ruby Sworks SL w/SRAM Red; 2006 Fuji Team RC; 2008 Felt F1x; 1980's Lotus Excelle; Mangusta FG/SS; Rossin (yet to be built up)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
OK people. Look, I am a true flatlander, coming from Clayton, NC. On a 40-50mi ride around here, I might and I mean might, have 1000-1200' elevation change. And, I'm being very generous with those numbers.

I just came home from riding up there with Jschen, BWNC, and roadrider. Yes, the Ring of Fire loop (Cullowhee Mtn Rd, Pine Crk, & Elijay) was very hard to ride for me. But, I managed with a 34/27. Yes, I had to stop some and rest. Yes, I was the last one on every climb. This last ride was a social ride, as were all the others. No one is here to race or see who can get to the top first. It surely won't be me. If it's your first time riding in the mountains, you get some pats on the back and high fives when you reach the top because this is a great accomplishment, at least it was for me. And, don't forget - the downhill descents way more than make up for the climbing!!!! 52.8mph max downhill speed for me on this last journey!!! weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Being a social ride, there is no real "racing" on the ride, but, if I have the strength/energy, I will try to go for the county line signs, city limit signs, etc, or try to beat BWNC up the very short and not too steep grades on Burningtown. I know that I most likely won't win, but hey, it's all in fun.

Seriously, don't let the elevation profile scare you away. Yea, it looks rough and hard, but in all seriousness, if I, a true flatlander, can go up there not once but five times and ride, it can't be all that difficult. (Yes it can, but it's completely do-able). I must be a glutton for punishment as I'm doing this ride, and have plans for 3 or 4 other events up there this year.

So, go ahead and make your reservations for a night or two at the Pisgah Inn and come on up and enjoy riding in the WNC mountains and on the BRP. I already have my room reserved.

WP.