genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
I would expect the infrastructure to be very similar. Bike lanes could be (finally) eliminated and there would only be a need for standard width lanes.

A few benefits:
-Freeways could be smaller in total width
-Door zone bike lanes would be repainted as 'door zone do not drive zones'
-Every intersection would have signal control sensors that worked for bicycles in every lane!
-Many one way streets could be converted to two way (with appropriate changes to signal directions)
-Light cycle timings could be adjusted for ideal cyclists speed and volume flow.
-More cyclists would realize the need to stop at stop signs.
-There would be bike repair shops on nearly every corner, eliminating the need to carry much in the way of tools and spares when in an sub/urban area.
-Streamlined bents would become more popular (great on the freeways!)

Al
Bicycle Freeways!

The biggest issue I have with the Foresterites is that their instance that the "current roads are good enough" is false... better roads for cyclists would make cycling even more efficient... Imagine going across town at full speed and never having to stop for a light or stop sign... that is what motorists experience today... why can't cyclists enjoy the same advantages that inertia offers (this BTW is really why so many cyclists run lights and stop signs... just to preserve momentum). I wanna see bike freeways!