Old 01-09-08, 05:45 AM
pranavnegandhi

Bikes: LA Sovereign Navigator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rest periods in a training program

I have been lurking on this forum for some time now. I got onto the cycle last November after close to 20 years and have been bitten by the bug. I commute to work everyday by bicycle, use it to run errands on weekends, and even go on a 10-12 km circuit most days of the week.

I have been suffering from aches in my right knee for several years, due to weakened quad muscles and was hoping that working out on the bicycle would help relieve the pain. My fitness had improved dramatically during the first few weeks, but during December the ache in my knees was becoming unbearable. I was thinking of giving up cycling, or at least reducing it for a while.

Then I took a week off and went on a break out of town, during which time I didn't cycle at all.

After returning, I went off again to ride one morning and surprised myself by finishing the 10 km round in half the time as usual. And this is not a one-off thing. I have kept up with this pace for several days in a row. Even my regular commute to work seems to go faster, and leaves me less out of breath than before.

Has anyone here experienced such a thing? Is it a good idea to incorporate some kind of rest period into a training program? I want to prepare for a 150 km ride to the next city and am considering pointers for my training program. Any advice would be helpful.