View Single Post
Old 01-09-08, 04:03 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Looks like I need to learn how to adjust the derailleur or perhaps the cables. Quick questions: do cables get lubed? Also, although the inner tubes are holding air, do they "go bad" from just being on the bike and stored (sitting on the floor) for fifteen or twenty years? Seems like common sense would be to replace the tubes even if they're working fine.
Some lube their cables with silicone spray or silicone chain lube. I don't unless there binding a little. If the cables are binding quite a bit, I replace them.
Tubes can work fine after 20 years or they could lose elastomers over time that cause them to become porous. IF they become porous, they'll work fine on a ride, but will need to be pumped up more often, like say, daily instead of every few days for a new tube.
Are the tires 18-20 years old? Frankly, if the tires are that old, I'd be checking them for dry-rot or cracks. If I was riding them on a trail bike where I was jumping logs etc, I'd replace them, if they were that old.