Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
Are the tires 18-20 years old? Frankly, if the tires are that old, I'd be checking them for dry-rot or cracks. If I was riding them on a trail bike where I was jumping logs etc, I'd replace them, if they were that old.
I don't think there is any issue the tires and tubes should be replaced. That's the first thing you need to do to upgrade the bike. At that age, there is no question there will be problems.

Another issue to consider - how was the bike ridden and how are you gonna ride the bike (yes yes I know easy trail but...)? The stress of trail or mountain biking is just so much different than road riding not that this suggestion wouldn't apply to road riding as well... but after all the inital maintenance consider replacing the handlebar (and maybe the seatpost) especially if its aluminum. Last thing you want to be doing is going down something alittle steep and rutty and "uh-ho" handlebar cracks!!!! Had this happen to a good friend and he got a nice fx'd collarbone for his lack of mainenance. With a trail bike there really are safety issues ot consider.

Yeah I know, just/free bike will now cost some money. It's worth it in the long run. Just so much cheaper than medical bills!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.