View Single Post
Old 01-10-08, 09:11 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by bautieri
I mount just like you would on a motorcycle. Approach from the left hand side, squeeze the front brake, swing the right leg over and push off with it. We practiced this one in Stony Creek remember?
Yes, and we shelved it because I couldn't manage to coordinate getting onto the saddle and pushing off.

My previous attempt to learn this was with my (mercifully former) self-described "bike mentor", an embarrassing experience in which I spent two or three minutes trying to lift myself backwards onto the saddle of a road bike of the wrong frame size. We both gave up.

I would say that this came with years of practice but way back when I was learning to ride a bike it had nifty training wheels. Mounting a bike might be a bit of a trick due to your physical limitations, but I have confidence in you. You'll over come it.
"Attitude is the only disability."

Do you notice a difference in mounting your Navigator vs your FX? I think your FX is a bit on the tall side, might have something to do with your troubles.
Actually, I mount the same way on both bikes. The FX is a larger frame, but other than that the bikes are more or less equally tall.

You know, those of us who have rode bikes as children did not start out on big mountain and road bikes. We started on children's bikes then single speed pseudo BMX style bikes with frames far to small for a proper fit by big bike standards. These smaller framed bikes are where we got the practice mounting and dismounting. It might be worth your while to pick up a cheap BMX style bike from wal mart to practice your mounting and dismounting. The smaller frame will make it harder to get hung up on while still allowing you to practice the take off down stroke. Then you can practice your wheelies, track stands, bunny hops, and stoppies .

Bau
Thanks. I hate to increase sales of Wal-mart bikes, but I may follow that suggestion.