jm01
Banned

Bikes: Ellsworth Id

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cattrails
Hmmm.. someone else also recommended the poor customer service, I don't like the sound of poor warranty coverage, the bike shop told me the Ellsworth frames are guaranteed for life so that would be a big issue with me. I don't think I'm aggressive enough to break a frame riding. Was your issue a bad weld or poor material? I'm taking ALL comments into consideration. Thanks for the input.
I agree with KG...the frames are now guaranteed for 2 years because of the customer abuse problems (one guy got 11 warranty replacements because he and his friends kept jumping off his garage roof) and that led to some very public disputes...but the actual number was very small.

He also had some design problems...the 2001 Truth seat tube broke occasionally, and the first Epiphany rockers were prone to break...but all were replaced...no questions asked.

Ellsworth frames are now made in his own factory in Vancouver, Washington. He is now able to control all aspects of quality control, and the new frames are remarkable. I own 2 Santa Cruz (Blur & VP-Free) and a Specialized Stumjumper FSR...none are close to the Id on fast technical trails...like comparing a Ferrari to a Camaro.

I've had numerous reasons to work with his customer service...all questions were answered within 48 hours, and replacement parts arrived within 6 working days. Try that with Santa Cruz and Specilaized (Specialized is the only company I will never buy again because of my CS experience)

Just a "heads up"...Ellsworth has been a little slow with their CS lately...their California office was hit hard by the wild fires and a lot of their people had to look after their families...but last I heard, they were getting back on track.

Give them a try...they have some design quirks (they only vary the top tube length on the bike sizes so the bottom bracket and standover heights are the same with each size) but if they fit, I'm confident you'll be impressed.

Last edited by jm01; 01-10-08 at 04:11 PM.