View Single Post
Old 01-10-08, 07:45 PM
Kurt Erlenbach

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I suggest we all read and understand this article. The upshot of it is that research in all of these fields is weak and potentially infect with a variety of biases. I also suggest "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes, which makes many of the same points. "The Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan is good in the first half, after whihc it gets nutty.

Here's what I've learned. To lose weight, eat less junk (you know what that is), eat more good stuff (you also know what that is), eat less, and add exercise. The advice is very simple, but very hard to follow. The studies Taubes cites over a hundred years of research show that sugar and carbohydrates are bad, while protein and fats are good (something of an oversimplification). Exercise might help you live longer, but we all are testament to the fact that it will help you live better, and that is the key. Quality of life really, really matters. I long for the days when I ate what I wanted - there are days I want nothing more than a big, juicy burger. But I do not miss the 30 pounds I lost last year, and I love boggling the minds of people who think riding 40 miles on a Saturday is a spectacular feat of athleticism.