View Single Post
Old 08-29-04, 05:48 PM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Which seatpost brand / model is it and where did it fail, i.e., the post, the slider or pivot, or bolts at the seatpost clamp?

Tamer is Santana's normal supplier for suspension seatposts and there have been a few different models fitted as OEM for the past few years, the most recent being the parallelogram "pivot-plus" model (a knock-off of the Cane Creek Thudbuster), and then two other conventional "pogo-stick" posts, one that used a rubber sleeve to protect the sliding shaft from dirt (the Tricky-Dick) and one that didn't. Tamer's from the mid-90's were notorious for having bolts sheer-off and it was commonplace for anyone with a Santana that kept the tamer post to keep spare bolts in their seatpack (Note: We had a '95/96 model but Debbie had me remove the shockpost before our bolts had a chance to snap). The newer models see to fail at the pin and most folks get tired of sending them back to Tamer for warranty repair: a) because responsiveness is spotty and, b) because the post isn't all that great when it IS working correctly.

Trans-X is a different brand of shockpost sold as an aftermarket item. Haven't heard anything pro or con about them.

As for recommendations, have you reported your problem to Santana? Even if it's out of warranty, Santana usually does a pretty good job of helping out its customers. Not sure what they are recommending these days but I suspect they probably would ask you to contact Tamer for support.

As for just ditching the Tamer, if you have relatively smooth roads and run a 28mm or larger tire, your stoker may find that a solid seat post is more than adequate. As noted, Debbie had me change out her Tamer post a week after we took our first tandem home and she was not a cyclist before we bought the tandem. 7 years later and she's never wanted to change. However, if she does like the idea of having a back-up system for the captain's failure to either steer around or not call out obstacles OR If you live where expansion joints, chip-seal, or nasty roads are a fact of life I would suggest looking at either the RockShox telescoping model or the Cane Creek Thudbuster. They seem to be the models that give folks the least amount of trouble. The Thudbuster is probably the "better" design but it looks a bit ungainly.

P.S. "nochain" .... I've never been good enough to enjoy this sensation but you gotta love George H. for being imaginative enough to come up with that gag-line! If it wasn't for George, I'm not sure Lance would have any one-liners, e.g., "Anyone got any tape?" Why? "Because I'm ripped!".

Last edited by livngood; 08-29-04 at 05:54 PM.