View Single Post
Old 01-13-08, 06:15 AM
Briareos

Bikes: No bike at the moment; In process of building it.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziemas
It's very doable. As for cost what is your budget?

May I ask why you wish to do this instead of selling the frame a buying a proper one.

FWIW, this was done a lot in Latvia during Soviet times. There was a lack of decent road frames but a lot of track frames around. I still see track frames around from time to time that have had the dropouts changed.
Thanks for the reply! I was losing hope there.

Quite simply, I can't find any road frames quite like the Bareknuckle I love so much. Good steel tubing (Dedaccai 12.5 com?). All I want is a classic looking TIG-welded or fillet-brazed, black road frame with a straight fork. I can't find anything like that anywhere, and I've been searching. The Bareknuckle also has more "aggressive" geometry, which would be nice because I wish to race criteriums.

I can get a Bareknuckle for a couple hundred less than the standard 550'ish cost. All I wish to add are brake-stops on the top-tube, downtube bosses or shifter cable bosses, the bosses under the bottom bracket for shifter cables and on the chainstay....And road dropouts, OR just add a derailleur hanger from the track-ends if it's cheaper and would work just as well.

Sorta seems like a lot but I would think it would be fast, minor work, but I'm no framebuilder. The thought had crossed my mind to try and do it myself if I could find the supplies but that search has since been fruitless.