Originally Posted by invisiblehand
Nice setup Bruce.

With regards to cost, I did a quick search the other month and came up with

Option 1:

$500 for the Schlumpf
$200 for the Nexus Redband

Option 2:

$1150 for the Rohloff
Thanks, I enjoy both bikes ... of course, YMMV, but I purchased the Shimano and Schlumpf sets (twice) online each time for the Shimano, and locally for the Schlumpf drives, and neither set went over $600 complete with cranks, shifters, cables etc. .. the Shimano hub probably doesn't include a shifter as you could opt for a twistgrip or trigger shifter, or even in a pinch, could use a friction shifter.. the prices I was getting at the time from the Rohloff distributor across the bay from me were over $1200... running a Schlumpf also allows me to change rear wheels from a relatively heavy hubgeared wheel to an ultralight deraileur wheel (which I've done) while maintaining the gear range....so that versaltility was also in the back of my mind when I started on the projects..also, the units run very quiet (which I like)... I'm not really pushing one setup over another (I think the Rohloff is magnificent), just relaying my personal experiences and what has worked for me over the last two years... today, there are even more choices available... and more on the horizon.