Old 01-16-08, 03:06 PM
thaetviking

Bikes: Cannondale Furio Specialized Allez Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Bicycle license

I know this is probably not the right place to post this but I hang out here the most. I saw this on the news this morning:
Legislation filed to require bicycle driver's licenses
This bill requires all persons who operate or ride a bicycle on a primary or secondary road to have a bicyclist's license. A nonresident bicyclist is not required to obtain a license. A license is not required to ride on a municipal street or designated bicycle path. A license is also not required to ride a bicycle while participating in a race or event of more than 30 participants where one of the primary activities is riding a bicycle. A person who violates the new requirement is guilty of a simple misdemeanor and must pay a scheduled fine of $10.

At a time when we should be encouraging more bicycling, the legislature is proposing another barrier. What is most troublesome is many cyclists, will just hang up their bikes - adding to traffic congestion, air pollution, and more damage to our roads.

Do we really need to ask our third graders to cough up $10 so they can ride their bikes to school rather than suffer from obesity related health issues?

And they wonder why people are moving out of this state. Hell now I really want out of here.