View Single Post
Old 01-18-08, 11:52 AM
Velo Dog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Borderc
Hey Guys I am a student in the Industrial Design program at Auburn University and have just gotten into the sport of mountain biking. This semester I am taking and open design studio and have chosen to design a new type of bike rack for trucks. I have put together a few questions and topics to aid my design. If you don't mind taking a few minutes and discussing these topics I would greatly appreciate it.

Don't feel obligated to respond to all the topics or questions any information will help.

Which would you prefer a quick release mount or a permanent mount to the body of the truck. Why or why not
I'd like a QR, because I use my truck for other things, but it doesn't have to be instant. Something I could install/remove in a couple of minutes would be fine.

What are you thoughts on having to take the wheel off vs. leaving the wheel on.
Doesn't matter to me as long as there's a secure place for the wheel.

Bed mount vs. Hitch mount style carriers.
Bed mount. A hitch mount means I need a hitch, which I don't have and don't want to pay for. Also, bikes hung off the back are susceptible to damage and vandalism

When loading a bike in the back of a truck what problems might you face or do you face?
None in my mini-pickup. Guys who drive Compensators (jacked-up, fire-breathing weenie supplements) probably have issues with liftover height and reaching to the middle of the bed.

Are there any security concerns of leaving mounted bike and unattended?
Sure. I always worry when the bike's hanging out in public. I don't see a way to eliminate that at an acceptable cost in money, convenience and weight, though.

If a piece has to remain on the bike frame during the ride is this a negative (will not interfere with rider during ride and will be light weight and small)?
A negative, but maybe not a big one if the rest of the system works well.
Thanks for your time
And there you go...