Old 09-01-04, 05:24 AM
bnet1
'Bent Brian

Bikes: Trek 1000, Rans Tailwind

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't give up. If I had given up every time I wrecked on my DF bikes I wouldn't be having the fun I'm having today on my new 'bent. On the DF's I've gone over the bars, laid them down, and just plain fallen over countless times, resulting in stitches, contusions, torn ligaments, and cracked bones. The one thing I've never done on any bike including the recumbent is allowing my feet to hit the pavement while still moving if at all possible. It is all like the old adage about riding a horse, yes, I ride those too and have broken some bones as a result of falls. Does that stop me from riding and showing? No, I still ride and show.

Figure out what you did wrong, then don't repeat that mistake. It may take some conditioning, and some training to overcome any bad habits.

There was one time however when I did unclip and literally hit the ground running. I had just launched, crossed an intersection and had clicked up a gear. Speed was still pretty low. I was checking my mirror for traffic behind when I caught some gravel alongside the edge of the road (I was too close to the edge). There was no shoulder and a fairly steep ditch. I felt the rear wheel start to slide down into the ditch. I unclipped and stepped off of the bike as it literally dropped from beneath me. Since I was still holding onto the handelbars the bike didn't fall and I was able to keep it from gong completely into the ditch. I wheeled it back up onto the road, relaunched and was on my merry way. All other times that I've gone down while moving I've either stayed clipped in or just kept my feet off of the ground. Now go ride!

'bent Brian