fthomas
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Drivers Who Are - Less than safe? RANT

This really is about road safety, which I include in my perspective of riding. Tonight, as I drove my friend home we always joke about me putting on the headset and getting ready for another "You got a really good stop, guy!" , as we were told a couple of weeks ago by one of the arresting officers after we reported a drunk driver. The police asked that we stop four car links behind them after they pulled this guy over. Turns out he was a felon on parole with an outstanding warrant, violation of probation and "on something".

A week later there was another one North bound on the 405 freeway. Tonight I was only about four blocks from home and here is someone driving 8 mph in a 40 and going, literally, from the outside lane to the left hand turn lane and then coming to a complete stop in the middle of the two lanes east bound on a four lane divided road. Gee, I wonder if they are impaired? I reported it and the police ask that I stay behind them and report the cross roads. It wasn't to difficult at speeds ranging from 0 to 12 mph until the guy made a left hand turn on red from the outside go straight lane, which he did right in front of an officer who was just coming up behind me. They again asked that I stop behind the officers. That wasn't a problem, except the person did not want to stop so the slow speed chase was on. They finally cornered him in a shopping center parking lot where he had no place to go. As I waited for about ten minutes, as requested, my cell phone rings. Dispatcher: "Fred, the officers say you don't need to stay. They have everything they need." Three squad cars and "Crime Scene Investigation" truck. (Note: I am the Fred of Fred's)

Many of us ride these roads (with the exception of the freeway) and have to worry about the drivers who are distracted, belligerent / nasty and honking, aggressive and out to get you let alone under the influence and distracted. I believe that we all need to be more observant and when we see a dangerous motorist or bicyclist for that matter and humbly and politely report it to the authorities.

The life yoy save could be our own!

Rant over. Thank you for your time!

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)