Old 01-20-08, 11:59 AM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 676 Posts
Originally Posted by Turboem1
Here are some questions I have never seen answered and am confused about.

- If you get dropped bad, dont feel like you can catch up, get lapped, or cant even finish what do you do? You just pull off from the race? Do you have to notify someone when you pull off?
Just exit.

- How is it "judged". For example you have a number. Does that mean a person manually logs everytime you cross the start/finish or is there an electronic device that registers every lap?
Some have a electronic device, but most aren't logged at all. Most just rely on the honor/protest system. I've never seen it be a problem.

- Either way I assume once you get lapped you are hopeless and should stop? (some crits by me are on a 1 mile loop, which is obviously different then if the crit is 10 mile laps)
If it's a big course and a cat 5 race, I wouldn't mind if you continued, as long as you could stay out of the way. If there's any chance you can't/won't stay out of the way, then exit.

- How do you know when/where the primes are? I know they are sometime in the middle of the race but how do you kow when?
Sometimes they'll say, usually it's bells whenever the organizer feels like it.

- I also see people say "they ring the bell". When do they ring the bell? Before the last lap? Is it different for every race?
Bell lap is the last lap, also primes.

- Do you have to keep track of how far you have raced or will you be notified. I am sure in a 20+ lap race it may be hard to remember if your on lap 14 or 15.
Usually it's time+x laps. They'll let you know when it's x laps to go. Realistically, your first race should be viewed as a learning experience only, not a competition, and definitely not a 'A' or 'B' priority event. Stay in the pack and watch how things go.

- Also I see some races are setup different ways. Some are 50 miles and others are 45 minutes. Is there a reason for that or does it depend on the race?
Usually road races are z miles, crits are y minutes + x laps.

Last edited by ElJamoquio; 01-21-08 at 07:30 AM.