View Single Post
Old 01-20-08, 04:27 PM
77Univega
Drive the Bicycle.

Bikes: Three-speed modified for comfort.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by San Rensho
First of all, there is no agreement about anything among the vehicular cycling (VC) community.

If you want my opinion, I try to ride on streets where my speed can come close to matching the actual average speed of traffic. The posted speed limit is a guide but definitely not controlling. Its the actual conditions at the time I am riding.

If the street is narrow and has one lane in each direction, I am going to take the lane, so I would ride on a residential street where the average speed is below 30 mph. But I would not risk my life on, for example, an airport perimeter road that is narrow, two lanes and limited access where even if the posted speed is 40 MPH, people are going 60.

Two narrow lanes in each direction, I will ride on streets where the average speed is a little higher, approaching 40 MPH, because cars can easily go in the left hand lane to pass and I won't be holding up traffic.

So about 40 mph is the max average traffic speed I will bike in.

Thank you. Of all the responses, this one actually answers my question as I intended it to be interpreted.
"The bicycle is the perfect transducer to match man's metabolic energy to the impedance of locomotion. Equipped with this tool, man outstrips the efficiency of not only all machines but all other animals as well." Ivan Illich ('Energy and Equity')1974