View Single Post
Old 01-23-08, 10:14 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by min7b5
Thanks for the advice so far.

As for price. I still think I’d like to get a bike for around two grand. I have the dough, and I just kinda like having fairly nice stuff... I feel like if I got a beginner bike now, I’d probably want something better fairly soon, so that would probably cost me more money in the long run.

I’m not sure I follow the just “find a good shop and buy whatever they sell” thing. I have several very well regarded bike shops walking distance from me here in Portland, but I don’t know if I can just let go like that. Clearly they have an interest in selling me want they have on hand or what few companies they represent. Or are you saying that bikes are more similar than I think-more of less the same component brands,etc- and I should be more focused on warranty and service?

Any brands notorious for bang for your buck? Or the opposite?
Part of the reason for finding "a good shop and buy whatever they sell" is that the differences between bikes really isn't that great. At any give price point, the Unobtainium 4.6 really isn't that much different from the Panache 300 or the Wunderrad 78. Each may fit you a little different or may have one thing better than the others but have something worse. It's best to go and ride everything you can throw a leg over, then buy the one with the color you like best.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!