View Single Post
Old 01-23-08, 02:18 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Part of the reason for finding "a good shop and buy whatever they sell" is that the differences between bikes really isn't that great. At any give price point, the Unobtainium 4.6 really isn't that much different from the Panache 300 or the Wunderrad 78. Each may fit you a little different or may have one thing better than the others but have something worse. It's best to go and ride everything you can throw a leg over, then buy the one with the color you like best.
Shop is as important as the bike- Mainly for the advice they can offer on buying the bike- and then for the after sales advice aswell. Most bikes within a given price range are about the same- so two choices. Try as many bikes as you can- then buy the colour as suggested- Or start cheap and ride it for a year.

Reason for this advice is that you do not know what you want right now. Most of us have found that all the first bike is----Is an indicator to what the second bike will be.

I changed after 15 years of Mountain biking to road. I did not know anything about road bikes so just bought a sensible one to start with. I went with a low priced bike that would work. It did work and taught me a lot about road riding.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...ad/1243/29271/

Then within a year I started on the bike I wanted. I went over the top and got a frame and fork package and built up from there. I finished up with such a good bike- The OCR went up for sale and I got another good bike.- cheaper and for winter use- but set up to fit the same as the frame package.

Then again- there are such good bikes around for $2K- that you may strike lucky and get the keeper first time out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Sideview.jpg (50.2 KB, 25 views)

Spike Milligan