View Single Post
Old 01-23-08, 04:33 PM
sekaijin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Classic, 1984 Schwinn LeTour, 1998 Gary Fisher Marlin, 1969 Hercules, 1977 Sekai 5000 Superlite, 1993 Koga-Myata TerraLiner, 2013 Trek Farley.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by recursive
Well, let's just say I was a little optimistic on the first half and paid for it dearly at the end. I later did the DLD 300k and paced it more reasonably and didn't suffer nearly as much. (but I still suffered a little)

My advice is, unless you've done a ride like this before, however fast you think you should go at the beginning, just go way slower. And then slow down a little more.

I will try to heed that advice. It may not be easy. I am in a trash-talking competition with a friend for bragging rights over who'll "win" the HHH 100K. He edged me out in the DLD. My riding time was a little faster but I dawdled at the rest stops. So for one thing I will try to take faster rest stop breaks.

I am fairly lightweight and my pedaling style is rather low cadence/high gear. On the DLD, I was passing people on the climbs and they were passing me on descents. I overheard a guy say to his girlfriend, "go easy on the hard parts, and go hard on the easy parts." I wondered if I was making it hard on myself by doing the opposite. Common widsom keeps telling me I should mash less and spin more, but this seems to be how I'm comfortable.

edit: PS, I am re-gearing my bike with a wider range freewheel, from 14-28 to 14-32, to help on the brutal climbs.

Last edited by sekaijin; 01-23-08 at 04:44 PM.