Old 01-24-08, 04:52 AM
markhr
POWERCRANK addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gastro
Mmm. I thought it stood for Continuously Variable Transmission. Wikipedia agrees. Regardless, as I stated, it would be critical for the ratio to be determined by the rider. You're too hung up on the cadence thing IMO. I smell a roadie.
wikipedia... - you do realise wikipedia is whatever you want it to be, especially true given that anyone can add/change/make stuff up. Why do you think so many schools, universities and colleges refuse to let students either use it or refer to it.

If you'd looked a little further you'd see that Constant Velocit Transmission and continuously variable transmission are similar if not exactly the same thing (a CVT may contain some form of continuously variable transmission). In my time in Mechanical Engineering lectures I only ever heard Constant Velocity Transmission = CVT used by the lecturers/professors.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ransmission%22

Like I said earlier the speed of pedalling is determined by the rider via some sort of shifter mechanism (twist, trigger, etc). Lower for quick power to the wheels (manuals, wheelies, etc), higher for climbs, endurance. I consider the ability to actually ride the bike up almost any hill is paramount even if it's a super DH rig. Whether you choose to or not is your problem but you're not limited by having to choose gear ratios that will only work at speed (being too tall otherwise).

I'm a cyclist, buddy.

I have multiple bikes which ALL could benefit from not having derailleurs.
Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!

Last edited by markhr; 01-24-08 at 06:19 AM.