Old 01-25-08, 09:53 AM
dijos
Walks with a limp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
random thoughts on my ride today

I had to drop the car off this morning, so I threw my bike in the back, and dropped the car off. They offered me a ride in the shuttle, but it's only 2 or 3 miles, and I figured it would get my blood flowing for the work I have to do today.

It was cold; 52-ish this morning overcast and a little windy. now before all of you yankee types make fun of me, it's 100+ with 90%+ humidity here for 6 months out of the year, and the sun will flay the skin right off of you. This caused me to ride in jeans, which I do not normally do. I also wore new slip-ons, which I recently bought for 10 bucks, because I only own a pair of skate vans to ride in, and I got soaked on saturday riding on monsoon conditions. My sneakers took 4 days to dry out. I figure that 2 pairs of sneakers isn't excessive. Since my vans have padded tongues, my clips are bent way up to get my sneakers in them. With the other shoes, I had a huge gap between the top of my shoes and the clip, so after a block or so, I tightened them way down. I don't know how everyone rides in these shoes-they're not very comfortable on pedals, and you have to really crank your straps down, which results in the tops of your feet hurting, as there is no padding. And, jeans are not comfortable to ride in either. I did manage to bring wool gloves, which I didn't think would work at all, but actually worked pretty well.

The high point of my ride was seeing a buddy riding to work on his bike. The low point was making it home into my driveway only to realize that with all of the strap tightening, I couldn't get my feet out. After a vain attempt to ride up to my garage door to balance myself to loosen my straps, I had the dreaded 0mph tipover.

I have to respect all of you folks that ride in cold-ass weather. I didn't break a sweat, which was nice, but the cold, dry air was burning my lungs. Granted, sweating your ass off isn't fun either, it hurts less.

Hope your ride is nicer.