Old 01-25-08, 02:48 PM
Niles H.
eternalvoyage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by theril
I am looking for some advice, and not quite sure on the best location to post. I apologize in advance to those that see this through the cross posts…

I am currently participating in a writing class, and have ridden for a while (blessedly) free of major injuries. The story I am developing focuses on a character that suffers a major accident during a mountain bike race (set in Colorado) – enough that he is told he “will/should never competitively ride again”.

Here is my question. What type of injury, or combination of injuries, would be enough to make a doctor reach that type of conclusion? The rider should still be able to recover (over time, with rehab, etc.)… My original thought was some form of back injury, where part of the spine would need to be fused … does this seem feasible, or are there any other suggestions?
There is a neurologist, Oliver Sacks, who is also an excellent writer. Some of his books deal with brain-damaged patients.

There are many levels of interesting creative latitude possible with these sorts of patients and their injuries and courses of recovery.

Some of his books:

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat

Awakenings

Seeing Voices

Phantoms in the Brain: Probing the Mysteries of the Human Mind