View Single Post
Old 09-03-04, 11:53 AM
bluemando

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by supcom
"Inexpensive" and "Custom" are generally not used together to describe a single item. If you are buying parts individually for an entire bike, you are likely to pay a hefty sum. Perhaps it would be better to choose a bike that comes real close to what you want and arrange with a bike shop to swap out those components you don't want. You are likely to get far more bike for you money.
I've considered doing that, but it's not as easy as it may seem. The bike I like is the Jamis Coda Comp, but I don't like the slanted top bar. I don't want a bike w/ a slanted top bar (unless it is very slight), because it accentuates the highness of the seat-post above the frame. I have fairly long legs, and so my seat is adjusted high, causing it to look "up in the clouds" (so to speak). Another bike I've considered is the Motobecane Café Late (bikesdirect.com) It DOES employ standard geometry, but only comes in the color "white"... which I don't fancy, for a couple of reasons. Also, I would have to have my LBS put it together (I'd screw it up for sure!), which would cost me extra. Anyway, I'm certainly open to suggestions of any bike that you (or anyone else) think would fit the criteria I've outlined.