View Single Post
Old 01-28-08, 06:32 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by ryansexton
-I want to bring a backpack so that I can have essentials with me when I'm not on my bike, just in case my bike does get stolen and I'll have to hike to the next city (Which could be a few days depending on where I am).
Why so concerned about losing the bike and gear? Is the area a high risk for theft or something? I would suggest that you do three things:
1. Don't worry so much about theft.
2. Use reasonable care with regards to the security of the bike and gear.
3. Carry the things that you are most worried about being stolen in a handlebar bag that either has a shoulder strap or converts to a fanny pack.

FWIW: Inexpensive panniers from Nashbar, MEC, or Performance can be had cheaply and they hold up better than many would lead you to believe. Three of us rode cross country with a mix of nashbar (waterproof) and performance (transit) panniers (4244 mile in 73 days) and they held up fine. I think that I could do a long tour every year for the rest of my life and still use the same ones. We caught good sales and got a set of front and rear panniers for about $100.

Nashbar even has a combo backpack pannier, but reviews that I have heard weren't very good. It is on sale for about $65. I think that the complaints that I heard were that it was too big.
Nashbar Special Waterproof Action-Pack 'n Pannier
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...%3A%20Panniers