View Single Post
Old 01-30-08, 08:41 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by pinkrobe
Another model[s] to look at would be the Devinci Sydney and Melbourne. I found a used 2007 Sydney for my wife, and was very impressed with the parts pick and the ride. It's way too small for me, but felt pretty nice on the test ride. I'm going to put on some mechanical disc brakes, since it comes with disc-compatible hubs stock. I think the Norco is cheaper, but double-check.
I agree (mostly) re. the Devincis; these are beautiful bikes, and I like the fact that they are actually (frame) fabricated in Quebec -- have tested them a couple of times. Just have two reservations (a matter of personal preference, really): the rear disc mount position (hanging off the back) strikes me as awkward/vulnerable/slightly ugly -- prefer the chainstay position as per this year's (08) Norcos (and many other brands now), and I (as per Bikefix above) do like the more road-bike length chainstays on the Norco (acceleration snap) as opposed to the more 'touring' length (for pannier clearance?) on the Devincis. Other than that, they really are lovely bikes.