Thread: Small steps
View Single Post
Old 02-03-08, 02:54 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Jtgyk
Ok...I've managed to drop 17 lbs (397 to 380 lbs) ...so with a herculean effort...I managed to pry my wide self off the couch to ride, instead of drive, to the gym ("c'mon its only a 4mi round trip...besides you wont have to do cardio when you get there") Hit some circuit training and ride home. That along with my commute to the library where i work will give me 7 miles today.
Yeah I know...but it's better than just the 3 miles RT to work.
Oh yeah, It also helps that it will be pushing 70 F today. (hee)
I'm really making an effort to ride to anything within 2 miles of my house...It's surprising just how many places I go regularly are within that radius.

Now I need to work on keeping my cadence up around 80 and not "mashing" my way back and forth. Managed to do pretty well with that today.

It's kind of humbling when I read of you guys jumping back on your bikes and doing a 20 mile ride with hills...but I guess I've learned to start with the small steps and just work with what I have at the time.
My reward for keeping up with the riding is being able to justify getting a nicer bike and trying out some rides with the LBS guys. No hope of keeping up even with the slow ones on my MTB right now. (sigh)
Hi,

My first bike ride in my life was December 24, 2006. I rode a mile and a half and crashed when a mailbox jumped in front of me. I completed a century (100 mile ride) nine months later. I'm 42, 250 pounds, and have crooked legs and a crooked spine. You will go wherever you want to, with time and work.

Oh, and I was once 385 pounds. I dropped the weight with hard work too.