Old 02-05-08, 08:00 AM
IronMac
Dead Men Assume...

Bikes: Bike Friday NWT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't want to poo-poo too much the idea of a racing bike but if the OP is primarily concerned with commuting almost any type bike will do the trick. The most important factor is making sure that the bike fits properly. It doesn't matter what sort of bike it is.

I'm still going to say that a hybrid is probably the best choice. It can be relatively fast (not as slow as a mountain bike on knobbies but not as fast as a racing bike), it can handle significant variations in terrain (anywhere from dirt roads which a racing bike can't do comfortably to pavement which a mountain bike isn't so hot at), it has a more upright position which can make it more comfortable, it can handle a variety of tasks such as shopping, touring and commuting. And it's not so expensive that the OP is going to be afraid leave it outside for long periods of time.

I'm partial to Trek hybrids but I'm sure that others can chime in with their choice. My hybrid is 17 yrs old and has done it all with the exception of mountain biking and club rides. Last year, I did close to 6000 kms with it and the year before that it was 9000 kms. It's been run in all sorts of weather conditions from winter to summer and all sorts of ground from pavement to desert. The latter isn't recommended, though.

BTW, what is the budget?