View Single Post
Old 02-05-08, 09:18 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by meaculpa
Thanks nun, that is an excellent discussion of how to cut down weight and still cover your needs.
Its also reassuring that you do this with the same bag. Instead of the Bagman support, I could try to fit some equipment between the rear rack & the bag thus giving it support...that is if I decide its necessary to keep the rear rack.

Also, how does the bike handle for you with weight up high both in the front & the back? The usual plan is to set up panniers down low next to the hubs, I believe for stability.
I'd encourage you to try various bag configurations, the way I do things is a bit out of the ordinary. I'm a big advocate for using a saddlebag, but I'm in the minority so see how much stuff you will be comfortable with and try a few things out.

As you have a Longflap you'll already know how the bike handles. As the weight is centered on the long axis of the bike and close to the center of gravity ie you I feel that it has less effect on the handling of the bike than low down panniers. I can get out of the saddle on long climbs, something I don't feel comfortable doing on a heavily loaded bike. Also there's not need to worry about balancing weight left to right.

To make the scheme I use work you have to use light weight gear and be careful in what you pack. Having said that I find that I'm comfortable on tour and have all the necessities of life.