View Single Post
Old 02-07-08, 07:45 AM
Hocam
Ho-Jahm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only have a few comments and have been holding off on this thread to see what everyone else says.

For the gearing, while having the triple gives you unnecessarily high gears for Brevets it does make the bike more versatile. Maybe you'd like to keep up with some friends on a group ride, or practice sprinting for interval training or maybe your favorite loop includes a steep descent and you want to snip a few of the seconds off your personal best. I have used every gear on mine, but the high is only 53-13.

For the wheels, I am not impressed by the DT Swiss rims, mainly because of their price. An off-center rear rim will build a far stronger wheel than a traditional symmetrical rim, for less cost than a DT Swiss. By placing the spokes closer to the left side, the tension of left side is increased from around 60% to close to 80% of the right side, better if you're using 135 mm spaced hubs. This makes for a significantly stronger rim that will last longer and help prevent broken spokes. Velocity and IRD both make off-center rims, and you may notice a few 'boutique' racing wheels have begun using this concept where low spoke counts make it a necessity (American Classic and Fulcrum are two I can think of).

The S&S couplers make a great deal of sense and despite what some say, plastic fenders do work quite well; my brother completed a 3,000 km. tour of eastern europe on plastic fenders and an S&S couplered Bilenky touring bike without problems. They're like anything else, if you don't tighten them properly and give them a check once in a while then of course they'll come loose.