Helmet Head
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by macteacher
Thanks so far:

VincentPaul, the kids WILL create the petition... I just want to have some background on this type of action as i've never made a petition of this sort before. I want to know what to expect from something like this. But this indeed will be a student made proposal.

Markhr, the city is not favorable to cyclists. I'm sorry but I disagree with you, a cyclist is better off in a bike lane, rather than having to share a lane with cars that are swerving to avoid them. Every time I hit the road I feel my life is in danger, hence why I ride on the sidewalk, but that isn't much safer either.

Justice Zero, thanks for the suggestions. I'll try to co-ordinate with city officials. They have received petitions in the past but not much has been accomplished by them. However I feel we have to keep hammering down on our politicians until they listen.
Please, please, at least you should take the CAN-BIKE course. Teachers of all people should not be perpetuating myths like this, especially when safety and lives are at stake.

This is not a matter of opinion. The debate about bike lanes is not about safety, except in a very indirect way. The only way the safety argument is even attempted any more is based on the dubious premise that bike lanes significantly increase ridership, and more riders on the road makes motorists more aware of bicyclists, and that's why bike lanes make cycling safer. Otherwise, the pro-bike lane argument is all about making cyclists feel more comfortable (because they believe they are safer in a bike lane - never mind that they are not).

Last edited by Helmet Head; 02-07-08 at 11:36 PM.