View Single Post
Old 02-09-08, 03:58 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JBMCsr1
I would like to make one of my mountain bikes into a dedicated touring bike. I have two to choose from: An all original 1992 Trek Antelope 850 and an all original (except tires) 1984 Specialized Rockhopper. I just got the Trek for free. The Rockhopper I've had since 1986. Both bikes are in great shape. I don't know if the Rockhopper has any value other than it has been mine for a long time and is still a kick to ride. It does have great touring dimensions/geometry. The Trek is real nice too, it does not have the same long geometry as the Rockhopper. The Rockhopper has a wheel base of 44 inches with 18 chainstays. The Trek has a 42 inch wheel base with 17 inch chainstays. The Rockhopper has friction shifting on fifteen and the Trek is index shifting on 21. The Rockhopper has solid bolt on 36 spoke hubs and bull moose handle bars. The Trek has quick release on 32 spoke hubs. Obviously I am not as attached to the Trek and so it would be easier to make changes to it. The Rockhopper has always been a great bike and fun to ride.

Can you help me make a decision? Which would you choose to make into touring bike?
I would use the Rockhopper based on the geometry. I would consider a wheel upgrade to QR wheels, or possibly swap the drive train from the Trek to the RH. I think you will most likely find that the short stays on the Trek may cause a heel strike problem when you get panniers mounted.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon