View Single Post
Old 02-10-08, 08:49 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
If you are putting too much weight on your hands you may need to adjust your fit. That could include raising the handlebars slightly if you can, getting a shorter stem so you aren't leaning as far forward, tipping the seat up a bit (as someone pointed out) so you aren't sliding forward and having to push back, or, paradoxically, moving your saddle a tiny bit backwards, on it's rails, so your body weight is more centred over your feet. Also your hands support a larger weight when you coast. As you get fitter and pedal more continuously, the constant downstrokes of your legs tend to push your torso upwards and lighten the load on your hands. In fact, during a sprint, this effect is so strong racers may actually have to pull hard on the bars, instead of leaning on them, to counteract it.
I agree, I had the same problem until I bought an adjustable stem. I also picked up some wider bars for more hand positions.