Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
The only problem with that approach is you increase the likelihood of the price going higher than your top price. Last second bidding is an art and can be fun. Sniping programs take the fun out of it.
While the first statement is unprovable and/or false, the highlighted statement is the key point.

All the previous arguments about exposing what you are willing to pay just don't exist unless you have hacked Ebay.

What maximum bid has been placed is not exposed until someone outbids it... just the same as if I bid my maximum at the exact instant that someone else bids. How does this raise the final price? With all of the sniping, I agree that the price goes up at the last minute due to all of the snipes hitting... but either way, the highest bidder wins.

Y'all are the reason that Ebay's latest ads are pushing the thrill of the win. Me, I look to get items I want at a good price. The few times I remember sniping, I ended up paying more than I wanted because of the thrill of the hunt.

The only real down side of the proxy bid (from the perspective of getting a good deal) is that it could tie up the funds you are willing to spend on an item you are waiting for the auction to end, and you are unable to jump on another item (i.e. buy it now or a new listing with a shorter duration).