View Single Post
Old 02-11-08, 12:17 PM
blu-haus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kevink159
I am not sure what any of the formulas involve in an LEED building, but it seems like a joke to me. I am an elecrician and am working on my first LEED building and I can see NO energy effeciancy steps taken anywhere. There are no timers or motion sensors to control lighting in the building at all, there are quite a few incandecent light bulbs, they use underground hot water to melt snow for a HUGE area outside (including the road). I have not seen this level of ineffeciancy in at least a decade.
Funny story... my wife works in a newly constructed University dorm that is LEED Silver. The lobby (where she sits all day long) is constantly between 78-88 degrees. She ask the mechanical engineer why, and he said "because they didn't put any return air venting in the lobby". So she has been keeping the windows open during the winter just to keep the lobby temp under 78 degrees, total waste of energy, right?

Well today she figures out that the wall that the thermostat (which is non-adjustable by her) is mounted in a shaft wall up against the exterior that has NO INSULATION!!!!! So when it's 10 degrees outside the thermostat thinks it's 40 degrees in the lobby and blasts heat all day.

Being an architect myself, I'll thrown the first stone... Stupid engineers...