View Single Post
Old 02-11-08, 12:26 PM
Elkhound

Bikes: Trek Mountaineer modified with a NuVinci; Montegue Paratrooper folding mountain bike; Greenspeed recumbent; Surly Big Dummy with Stokemonkey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Portis
I would never ride with my kids on a busy highway etc. Residential streets is as far as i would go. It was just a personal choice and a chance i wasn't willing to take. I don't like the notion of being remembered as the stupid cyclist who was out there riding his bike on the highway where he didn't belong and was killed by a truck.

But even worse, i don't like the notion of being remembered as the dad who got his kids killed by doing the same thing.

Except by the laws of all fifty states, the District of Columbia, and the Free Associated State of Puerto Rico, bicycles do belong on all public streets except where specifically forbidden.

That being said, of course one must excercise a bit of prudence, especially when you have children along, but I would phrase it as "where it was too dangerous" rather than "where he didn't belong". Bikes belong on the street as much as cars.