View Single Post
Old 02-11-08, 02:25 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by huqleberry
Yeah thats exactly what it looks like...

A little more info...

My friend plans on driving cross country around the same time I plan on doing this bike tour.

I plan on painting a picture of America by documenting our progress. I'm sort of a nut and plan on knocking on doors of people/going to diners and getting their opinion on the current state of the US (ahead of the elections). Possibly bumming accommodations along the way. We aren't going to be taking any camp equipment or anything like that.

I'm just gonna be taking a video camera... tape... and an extra battery. Getting what we need as we go.

Does anyone know how to solicit sponsorships for such an adventure? That might help a bit...

Btw I'm 22 years old.. male... good shape... just did a 60 mile bike ride for ms which was pretty intense but not that bad... I try and ride my bike everywhere in the urban jungle aka NYC
I encourage you to get on your bike and pedal cross country, but I also encourage you to do some planning, continue to read this forum, take a step back and do some multi-day tours before heading out across America. If 60 miles was intense for you doing a C2C in a month and a half will be a big challenge. I'm not saying doing 60 miles isn't an achievement, but that's a regular day for a lot of tourers and many will average more miles day after day.

You say you won't be taking camping equipment, that's ok if you are being supported by your friend in the car, but you should think about stuff you'll be carrying with you in case you get separated. The farther West you go the more difficult it will be to couchsurf or do warmshowers, so be prepared to use motels