Old 02-12-08, 12:02 AM
supcom
You need a new bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nine
I can: Fix flats, adjust brakes, adjust front and rear derailleurs (using barrel adjusters only, not H and L limits), change a link in my chain (sort of, still need more practice), and can replace a spoke so long as it is not a rear one behind the cassette (plan on using kevlar spokes if that should happen). What else do I need to feel comfortable out there during my first rando season?

and, the tools i will carry: spoke wrench, allen keys, chain tool, pump, tubes, xtra tire, zip ties...what am I missing?
Patch kit, duct tape and/or electrical tape, spare chain pins (if you use a Shimano chain) or spare PowerLink if SRAM, and a small pocket knife.

I'd leave the spare spokes at home except for the kevlar spoke. The spoke that breaks will almost always be the drive side rear.

Other things to consider, depending on the length of ride and the conditions: Small medical kit to handle road rash, insect bites, aches and pains, etc., mylar emergency "space" blanket if you plan to ride in cold weather, plastic supermarket bags for emergency rain booties, shower cap to go over your helmet in case of rain.

If you use generator lights, be sure to have a battery light of some kind so you can change a flat at night. An inexpensive LED headlamp zip tied to your helmet on low power makes a great light for reading cue sheets at night and fixing flats. Take zip top sandwich baggies to hold your cue sheet and brevet card so they don't get wet. Bring extra zip top bags so your cell phone/camera/wallet/etc. doesn't get wet. A small "bulldog" binder clip zip tied to your handlebars makes a good cue sheet holder as does a "Cue Clip".