Old 02-12-08, 12:22 AM
overthere
fredelicious mini-masher

Bikes: Specialized Ruby

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, Curtis! Saw your question, and although I don't ride those INSANELY long rides myself, I did forward your questions. Here's some answers form the local King of the DD, Eric Norris.

My two cents' worth:

Lights? You'll have about 15 hours of daylight on ride day. Judge for yourself whether that's enough to finish the entire ride in daylight. If you're looking for a very good, small light, try the Princeton Tec "EOS"

What to carry? I always carry packages of drink mix, as I don't want to chance drinking whatever has been made at the rest stops. The amount of food you can carry in your jersey pockets should be more than enough to get you from one rest stop to another. Bigger issue, particularly if it's hot, is WATER. Bring plenty of it, and consider a Camelbak if the weather is really warm. The climb up Resurrection after lunch is very exposed, uphill, and HOT.

I would not recommend leaving stuff at the stops and expecting expeditious delivery to the end. Carry it back unless you want to wait until the next morning.

Yes, you can leave early, but if you're reasonably fast you may get to the first stop or two before they open. You also may miss out on having corner marshalls watching for traffic.

--Eric "24 Davis DCs so far" Norris

Enjoy your ride! That's relative. And still crazy. lol ...and ducking, since this IS the Long Distance Cycling forum. hehe.

Diana