Old 02-12-08, 04:03 AM
wrobertdavis

Bikes: Surly Bridge Club, 1992 Miyata 914

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bluebottle1
Sorry to read the experience was bad in 2007. This year's was pretty nice. You can still complain about the route because, well, it's just not that exciting. Not a whole bunch of scenery there, though the southernmost loop that was part of the 60 mile route was (I thought) pretty pleasant. My perception of it all is likely filtered through the weather, which was--in a word--perfect. Comfortable temperatures throughout and there was no appreciable wind until the last 20 miles or so. Even then, not really a huge deal. I'd certainly be willing to do this one again.
I rode the 60 mile route. The rest stops were well done by volunteer groups. I had misfortune of a broken cable at mile 15 and thought I would be riding a "2 speed" for the rest of the route using only my front derailleur. I was rewarded at the next rest stop with a decent mechanic who was equipped to handle broken cables. He replaced and adjusted the rear derailleur cable at a cost of $5.

Traffic control support was good for the first 2/3 of the route but was blatantly missing on the last 15 miles or so. I heard one of the scheduled sheriff's dept crew was a no-show. One of the critical turns on the route was not marked. If you missed it (I did), it was bad news leading you through an industrial section of town to the high speed sam houston tollway feeder.

The last leg of the route went up highway 521 and was downright dangerous - heavy traffic, no shoulders and no traffic control. Honestly, this part of the ride was inexcuseable. The end of the ride was a big nothing - no food, no drinks, no support, just a parking lot.

There was a large turnout with a high percentage of inexperienced riders. This is probably a good simulation for the MS150.

I enjoyed the first part of the ride. I must admit my attitude was downed by mechanical problems (also had a flat). But the latter part of the route with its dangers and the lack of refreshments at the end left me with a sour impression. I think I'll skip it next year.

Bob